Sunday, May 20, 2012

The 3 Peak Challenge


This past weekend, 11 of my roommates and I embarked on The 3 Peak Challenge; a challenge to climb Devils Peak, Table Mountain and Lions head all in one day’s time. We left the house at 5:15 am and had reached the top of the first mountain, Devil’s Peak, by 7:30am- just in time for sunrise (which we couldn’t watch considering we were amidst the clouds). Although we completed the first leg of the hike in pitch-black darkness, I managed to fall only once…and there wasn’t even that much blood!

After a “graceful” descent down Devil’s peak, we began the climb up the highest of the three mountains. Setting a personal record in a time of 1 hour and 30 minutes, we were at the top of Table Mountain by noon. Despite the 5 layers of clothing I had packed, I was still caught off guard by the frigid temperatures at the top of the mountain. After quickly snapping a picture to prove our achievement, we quickly began our descent, eager for warmer temperatures back at sea level.

By the time we began to climb Lion’s Head, my quads were on fire. Trust me…Division I Varsity Athletics training does nothing to prepare you for this challenge. Don’t ask me how, but an hour later, I found myself perched at the highest point of Lion’s Head looking out over downtown Cape Town and the Atlantic Ocean.

Our total hiking time was 10 hours and 40 minutes and my self-esteem was soaring. That is, until the cab driver (no, I was NOT about to walk my butt home) informed us that just a few months ago, a man completed the challenge in less than 5 hours... Yea, uh maybe next time?

Peak #1: Devil's Peak (3,281 ft. elevation)

Peak #2: Table Mountain (3,558 ft. elevation)

Peak #3: Lion's Head (2,195 ft. elevation)



No comments:

Post a Comment