Thursday, June 21, 2012

Enkosi (Thank you!)


It’s hard to believe it has only been a week since I left Cape Town. As I sat down to write this blog, I found myself at a loss of words. I am clueless as to go about explaining the rush of emotions I have experienced upon my re entrance to the states. There have been moments of elation and joy accompanied by times of frustration and despair.  But throughout the whirlwind of emotions, I have experienced a persistent feeling of gratitude; gratitude for the people I’ve met, the places I have traveled to, the things I have done, but most importantly the lessons I have learned. I have been taught to appreciate instability in life, for that is what brings us the most profound transformations. South Africa also taught me the value of simplicity, flexibility, passion, and correct attitude. And I could never express an adequate appreciation to all those whom guided, supported and taught me over the last few months.

I left for South Africa with the hope of being pushed outside my comfort zone- I wanted to be fundamentally transformed by the language, the culture and by the diversity. With pride, I can say that I have indeed evolved.

There is something about living abroad that ignites within you a childlike outlook on your surroundings. I was in a constant state of awe and appreciation and I pray that I am able to maintain that sense of wonder in my life back home in Milwaukee. As each day presents new opportunities, I will strive to learn form them with equal conviction as I have done in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment